The Sizewell C application (submitted May 2020) is published by the Planning Inspectorate here: https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/eastern/the-sizewell-c-project/?ipcsection=docs. For an overview of EDF’s initial proposals you can read our DCO Summary Briefing and/or watch the video at the foot of the page.
EDF submitted revised proposals to the Planning Inspectorate in mid January 2021 which are available on the above link but the Examining Authority has announced it will not decide whether to accept them or not until after the Preliminary Meeting(s).
A draft Examination timetable has now been published as below. The first key stage is the Preliminary Meeting. The first part has taken place, but the second part of this meeting is 14 April (with a deadline to register of 7 April). For more information visit our special Preliminary Meeting page.
OUTLINE TIMETABLE (see Appendix D of the Planning Inspectorate’s recent letter for more details).
- 23 March & 14 April: Preliminary Meetings take place online.
- 19 – 21 May: Open Floor Hearings
- 26 May: deadline for the submission of Written Representations. This is when more detail on the issues of concern will be required.
- July: issue-specific hearings take place, online or – if lockdown has been eased as proposed – at a local venue.
- 14 October: the Examinations must end 6 months after the Preliminary Meetings close.
- 14 January 2022: The Planning Inspectorate has 3 months to make a recommendation to the Business Secretary whether or not the project should receive planning consent.
- 14 April 2022: Secretary of State decision.
Note that parallel to the DCO process, EDF has also applied to the Environment Agency (EA) for 3 Operating permits for Sizewell C. The EA will be running consultations during the coming year or so and it is unlikely that permits will be granted (or refused) until June 2022. Details of EDF’s permit applications are here: https://environment-agency.uk.com/3O4M-13KK8-4YC1UE-PTI50-1/c.aspx (our guidance on responding to the EA’s first consultations – which is now closed – can be found here.
WATCH: our briefing on the main issues in EDF’s application for Development Consent, 7 September 2020
WATCH: Short video by PINS on the Planning Process for Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIPs)
For more videos and a written description of the NSIP process see: https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/application-process/the-process/